CAS/SIAT Soft Robotics Research Center
Call for Professors and Associate Professors
Institute and Research Center Information
The Shenzhen Institute of Advanced Technology, Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS/SIAT) is a national scientific research institution of the CAS at Shenzhen, jointly established by CAS, the Shenzhen municipal government and the Chinese University of Hong Kong in February 2006. Over the past 15 years, CAS/SIAT has gradually formed a collaborative innovation platform focusing on scientific research, integrating scientific research, education, industry and capital. Data to date, SIAT has staffs over 2484 (including 800 overseas returnees) and more than 1732 graduate students. Oriented to be the industrial research institute, SIAT has undertaken over 10 billion yuan of scientific research projects, published 11,638 papers, applied for more than 10,000 patents, and incubated 1186 enterprises. In 2020, SIAT ranked 31st in the Science/Nature Index, five disciplines ranked in the top 1% of ESI in the world, the number of new PCTs applications ranked first in the global educational institutions, the number of approved Natural Science Foundation of China (NSFC) grants ranked first in the national research institutes, and the number of approved National Key Research and Development Plan of China projects ranked first in the national research institutes and sixth in the national universities. SIAT is already a leading research institute in the south of China and Robotics is one of its key research directions. At the same time, relying on SIAT, CAS has built a new university at Shenzhen, the Shenzhen Institute of Advanced Technology, Chinese Academy of Sciences. The faculty of Computer Science and Control Engineering and its Department of Robotics and Automation are also included.
Oriented to the frontier science and key applications of soft robotics, Soft Robotics Research Center focuses on the fundamental theories and critical technologies of soft robotics. The major aspects include its material and fabrication, structure and actuation, sensing and control, and key applications. The research center is devoted to significant innovations of science and industrialization of applications on soft robotics, and particularly on the soft medical robots, soft manipulation, and underwater soft robots. The research center has also carried out theoretical and technological innovation researches in the field of medical robots and biomechanics, multi-model robotic manipulation, and many achievements have entered the application stage.
Research Areas for the Positions
The research center mainly focuses on fundamental theories, critical technologies and key applications of soft robotics，specifically includes,
- Soft material design and fabrication (include but not limited to intelligent and functional soft material design, rapid fabrication methods and equipments);
- Structure and actuation of soft robotics（include but not limited to mechanical analysis and modeling of soft materials, morphological design, rapid computation and real-time simulation of large deformation);
- Sensing and control of soft robotics（include but not limited to sensing methods and senor design, manipulation planning and control, image processing);
- Key applications of of soft robotics (include but not limited to soft medical robots, soft manipulation, and underwater soft robots).
Professors and Associate Professors (6-8 openings).
- Ph.D. holders of a world-class university/research institute;
- have research experience at least in one of the above areas, and good publication records;
- have certain academic leading ability at least in one of the above areas, can independently lead a scientific research team and have a good teamwork.
- According to the relevant salary regulations of our institute, the competitiveness is ensured in Shenzhen and the whole country;
- Those who are identified as Shenzhen overseas high-level talents or high-level talents can enjoy personal subsidies of 1.6-3 million yuan at each level;
- Transitional dormitories are provided，and then can be accommodated in the talented housing. Children can apply to attend kindergartens, primary and secondary schools affiliated to our institute;
- According to the relevant policies of Shenzhen and personal wishes, assistance will be provided to apply for the registration of Shenzhen residence and spouse and children transfer;
- Those who meet the National Natural Science Foundation of China Overseas Excellent Youth Program or Hundred Talents Program of Chinese Academy of Sciences can consult for detailed treatment.
The salary is negotiable based on applicants’ qualification and experience. Please refer to the following terms for details, in which the latest policy shall prevail for the treatment of relevant government talents：
Please send the following materials to: email@example.com. Please indicate the subject of your email at your convenience as: Name+Institute/University+Applied Position. Key application materials may include: 1. Cover Letter; 2. Full CV; 3. Selected publications (generally no more than 5); 4. Other personal academic achieves.